Monday, November 12, 2012

Back Story Monday: The Day of The 3 in 1 Meal

Hey.

Would you believe I thought today was Tuesday? I have no idea why. Hmm. I gotta lay off the chocolate. It's messing with my mind...and waistline...and weight loss goal.

Ah well, It's Monday! This means I owe you some back story on what has happened, and what I've been up to between Gypsy Black and now.

Well, my dad died. We buried him. I got a job at a publishing house. It was a learning experience. I'm not gonna get into it 'cos...I'm not. Let's just say I realised that I really don't enjoy being an employee. So I quit. After 6 months. Just in time for my CFA exam, and my wedding. Yeah, I got engaged. Then married.

What was my wedding like? Well. In retrospect, not half bad. I enjoyed some things. Threw a couple of tantrums and got away with it. Discovered what a diplomatic man Papa Goo was. You know, regular Nigerian, three ring circus wedding stuff. I even wrote an article about it.

After the wedding, we had a lovely honeymoon in Ghana at a hotel that sits right on the beach. I loved it. And I loved the restaurant. I got married a size 8 going on 10, and came back from my honeymoon a size 12. The food was that good. The most memorable day, was the day of the 3 in 1 meal.

You see, Papa Goo is not adventurous when it comes to his meals. He'll eat rice all day, every day, if he can get away with it. Everything else is not food. So you can imagine his consternation (Presenting our Word of The Day), when the restaurant did not have rice on its menu. How did he go around this? He ordered only chicken dishes, because they came with a side dish of rice. However, it meant he got more chicken than rice, and his rice loving tummy was not happy.

I, on the other hand, was having a marvelous time. I tried new things - fettuccine in white cheese (ugh!) and some old favourites (burger and fries), and don't get me started on the non alchoholic cocktails (Cinderella, anyone?). I left every meal stuffed, and happy. He left every meal full enough. Until the day of the 3 in 1 meal.

It was lunch time. We took a seat on one of the balconies overlooking the beach. We were close enough to feel the breeze and spray of the ocean, and taste the salt in the air. The waiter gave us our menus, and Papa Goo went for Spaghetti Bolognese.

"Close enough to rice, isn't it?"

I nodded, and glanced at the menu.

"I'm gonna order this Chicken Peri Peri thing", I said, and he shook his head.

"What?" I asked. Unnecessary question. I knew what.

"Nothing", he said, leaning back in his chair.

I looked back to the menu. Hmm. What if-

"You can order the Chicken Peri thingy? It's no big deal", he said.

"I will", I mumbled, "but I would also like those fries. They were delicious",

"So order the fries".

"They only come with the burger".

"Yeah?"

"I don't want the burger".

"Oh. No wahala. I'll take the burger".

"Sweet", I said. I may have done a fist pump. Yay, fries! And made my order.

The meals came back. Spaghetti Bolognese. Burger and Fries. And Chicken Peri Peri. Or if you prefer, white rice and stew with shredded chicken. Yup. Seriously.

Papa Goo was ecstatic. And that day, we both left our table stuffed, and happy, and have since lived happily ever after.

THE END.

(cue applause)

PS. Here's a quote from one of my Pastors, "Food is the love of God made edible".

Spaghetti Bolognese with Burger and Fries

Half eaten Chicken Peri Peri
Now that's food for thought.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mama goo I like ur unique style of writing .I jus visualize you saying these exact words to me....lolzzzzzz

Timi said...

Aaaw. Thanks dear. Your praise warms the cockles of me heart.

Anonymous said...

Ah my early morning comment didn't post...sigh

Commenting on blogspot is all sortsa hectic.

Anyway, loved this, the way you write is so easy to read and all, well maybe 'cos i've heard you speak so it's easy to place a voice to the words.

Great stuff...and um, you might wanna really look into PaPa Goo's love for rice..

LOL..Kelvin

Timi said...

Lol. My dear. It's been two years and counting - Rice is still it.

Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked it.